Having a pet does not mean you have to give up being hygienic and sweet-smelling at home!
There are easy ways to remove pet odors from your floor and furnishings and bedding.
You’ll need just a few items, along with a dose of patience. Anyway, the joy that our pets bring into our lives is worth more than all the efforts we put in to keep our home cozy and healthy.
Here are 6 ways to quickly get rid of pet odors:
- Get rid of the stinky smell of cat pee. Cat pee is irritating to the nose due to its concentration. “Cats are very good at conserving water, so they don’t always drink a lot, and they often eat dry food, so they don’t get a lot of moisture through the food,” explained vet Mariah Covey. To remove the odor, use an enzymatic solution which contains good bacteria and enzymes that remove pet smell.
- Get rid of the smell of a kitty litter box. Scoop the pee and poo as soon as possible. If your schedule is hectic, sprinkle the litter box with bicarbonate soda, which will absorb the undesirable odor. Also, make it a habit to clean the litter box every month. You can use an enzymatic pet odor and stain remover to finish the chore fast. Having an air purifier will also help to keep your home hygienic and fresh-smelling.
- How to properly clean pet bedding. Vacuum the bedding first to get rid of pet fur and dander. Afterward, mix your detergent with some bicarbonate soda to eliminate odor. If the smell is stubborn, use an enzymatic pet odor remover.
- Get rid of dog smell from the sofa. Use a vacuum cleaner first to remove pet hair. Then, sprinkle your sofa with bicarbonate soda and let it stay for half an hour before vacuum cleaning it again.
- Get rid of pungent odors from travel crates. This is another pet belonging you should clean with an enzymatic pet odor eliminator. You can also use some ingredients in your kitchen, in case the problem is stain and not pet pee. Simply dissolve 1 tablespoon of salt in 2 cups of warm water. Then, add 1/2 cup of white vinegar, 1 tablespoon of detergent, and 2 tablespoons of rubbing alcohol. Mix thoroughly and place in a spray bottle. Then, mix well and funnel into a spray bottle. Use the homemade solution to saturate any stains, then blot dry with a paper towel. You may also opt to vacuum the crate, sprinkle it with bicarbonate soda, and vacuum one more time.
- Get rid of pet odor in the air. An air purifier can help with the problem, but an ozone generator is more effective. “An air purifier uses fans to pull air into it and runs it through a filter to ‘scrub’ it before sending it back out. But an ozone generator uses an internal fan to push air out. The air coming out of it contains an extra oxygen molecule, creating O3, or ozone, which neutralises the air on soft surfaces,” said Jeremy Strickland, general manager of Randy’s Carpet Care.