Owl Stuck In Chimney Causes Carbon Monoxide Leak In Family Home

A family was evacuated from their home after a carbon monoxide leak was detected. The cause of the leak? An owl trapped in their chimney!

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous, odorless, colorless gas that can be lethal to humans. Thanks to carbon monoxide detectors, many deaths are prevented from unknown leaks. But once a leak is detected, the investigation starts to determine the cause of the gas.

Photo: Pexels/Pixabay

Common causes of a build-up of carbon monoxide include things like running a generator indoors. Penn Medicine says:

“Anything that burns coal, gasoline, kerosene, oil, propane, or wood” can produce carbon monoxide, among a host of other things – apparently, owls being one of them!

Photo: Pexels/Brady Wilson

Rescuers from the Hamilton County Dog Wardens of Cincinnati Animal CARE managed to free the owl.

They took to Twitter after the rescue to explain what happened. They wrote: “Never a dull moment for Hamilton County Dog Wardens! A family was recently evacuated from their home due to a carbon monoxide leak… Caused by an owl stuck in their chimney!”

It’s not the first time an owl has become trapped in a chimney or other indoor space, but it doesn’t make the situation any less strange!

“Lt. Conners rescued the owl; he was evaluated and released. Family is back home too!” the rescue added.

All is well that ends well, I suppose!

People, Pets & Planet

Help where it’s needed most at GreaterGood for free!