Vet Warns Pet Owners Against Letting Dogs In The Bathroom

As pet parents, we want to do everything possible to keep our fur babies safe. Dogs are part of the family and deserve to be treated as such, which includes ensuring their health and safety.

Many people are aware of common dangers for dogs, like chocolate and grapes. However, there may be dangers many people don’t stop to think about – like the bathroom.

Photo: Pexels/Elina Volkova

Back in 2020, veterinarian Rachel Barrack spoke with Insider to offer tips and warnings for pet parents.

One thing she shard that many people aren’t aware of is the importance of keeping dogs out of the bathroom. In fact, she said allowing a dog access to the bathroom could be deadly!

Photo: Pexels/Liliana Drew

She said that dogs shouldn’t have access to the bathroom and if they do, it should be pet-proofed beforehand.

She explained that toilet water can be toxic for dogs but if your pet can access the bathroom, its important to take precautions so they can’t drink from the bowl. She said, “Toilet bowls do not contain clean water that is appropriate for your dog or cat to consume. Keep the lid down so your large-breed dog cannot access the bowl.”

Photo: Pexels/Ivan Babydov

Beyond that, many bathrooms contain harsh chemicals and personal care products that could be fatal if consumed. According to Alpha Tech Pet, swallowing something like bleach could quickly and painfully kill a dog.

We want our fur babies to be as healthy and happy as possible, which means looking our for their safety and dog-proofing the house.

People, Pets & Planet

Help where it’s needed most at GreaterGood for free!