A bizarre incident has been reported in the remote Indian district of Jashpur. It took place in Pandarpadh Village when an 8-year-old boy named Deepak was bitten by a cobra. It seems the scaly creature latched on to his hand by curling itself tightly around it and the youngster couldn’t shake it, so he bit it back — killing the deadly reptile with just two bites. The bigger surprise? He lived. Cobras are included as one of the “big four” highly venomous snake species responsible for the most snakebites to humans in India.
According to Walk Through India, there are five different types of cobras in the country. They are found in a wide range of habitats, but mostly in agricultural fields, wetlands, dense or open forests, and even in urban areas. The report, in this case, didn’t specify which type bit the boy. The Spectacled cobra, also known as the Indian cobra, is the species associated with snake charmers during the Hindu festival of Nag Panchami and Naagula Chavithi. Its colors and patterns vary throughout the subcontinent.
The King cobra is said to be from a different genus of snake called Ophiophagus, so it’s not considered a true cobra. According to National Geographic, “their venom is not the most potent among venomous snakes, but the amount of neurotoxin they can deliver in a single bite — up to two-tenths of a fluid ounce — is enough to kill 20 people or even an elephant. King cobra venom affects the respiratory centers in the brain, causing respiratory arrest and cardiac failure.” The Caspian cobra, however, is the most venomous cobra in the world.
Deepak was playing in the backyard when he was bitten. “The snake got wrapped around my hand and bit me,” he told The New Indian Express. “I was in great pain. As the reptile didn’t budge when I tried to shake it off, I bit it hard twice. It all happened in a flash.” The Express noted that “Jashpur is a tribal district, which is also known as Naglok (abode of serpents) because it has over 200 species of snakes.” In this case, the boy received a dry bite, which can be likened to a warning shot.
Trip to the Hospital
The boy was rushed to a health care center where he was quickly administered anti-snake venom and kept under observation for the rest of the day before being discharged. “Deepak didn’t show any symptoms and recovered fast, owing to the dry bite when the poisonous snake strikes but no venom is released,” a snake expert by the name of Qaiser Hussain informed The Express. “Such snakebites are painful and may show only local symptoms around the area of the bite.”
They’re also said to be rare in Jashpur, regardless of the district’s other name, Naglok, or abode of snakes. For all of Deepak’s bad luck, he lucked out this time.Whizzco