The quick thinking of a 15-year-old at Hubbard High School helped save the life of a classmate.
Freshman Baron Reynolds said his class was going over material for a test when he saw one of his friends struggling to breathe.
“Gavin started choking and stuff like that, you know, start to really gag and stuff,” Reynolds told WKBN. “So then Ms. Pizanias literally jumped up out of her chair and she couldn’t get it.”
Teacher Pizanias immediately jumped out of her seat and began to perform the Heimlich maneuver on Gavin, the school reports. But after many attempts, the food was still lodged in Gavin’s throat.
Others soon went to get more help.
“I had a student running down the hall saying someone was choking on the first floor and I had to run to the second floor,” Hubbard High School Principal Brandy Yobe told WKBN.
Only Reynolds who knew exactly what to do, and was close enough to do it. He had recently learned from his mother how to help someone who is choking.
Gavin has since recovered and is doing fine, WKBN reports. Reynolds, meanwhile, is getting the credit he deserves for being there for a someone in need. He received a visit from his grandmother and uncle after school, the day of the incident.
“Baron basically saved this little boy’s life and I just… tears just started to flow. I just couldn’t help it,” said Sallie Penny, Reynolds’ grandmother. “I was really proud but he does so many things to make me proud of him.”
Baron was thanked on Twitter for his heroism by school officials.
— Hubbard Athletics (@Eagles_HHS) March 3, 2022
Learn more in the video below.Whizzco